Thursday, December 16, 2004

Some Lessons ....

Recently I did (In fact happened by me) a Herculean task.. A task of organizing a wedding function.
From my childhood days I have this question in mind "Why do people like to do something like arranging big functions for rituals?" Its a waste of money.. waste of efforts(Please note that this statement is given by a completely exhausted, disturbed person, this may not be true in actual), sleepless nights.. & so on... Why then .. Its really fun for the participants, but nightmare for the organizer.
I got answer when I did it... How can you experience joy when u haven’t done efforts for that :) (Dont cast me as philosophical person :)) The joy of success.. amazing..
During this I came across many incidents which taught me a lot.. some stole my sleep as well..J
Now also sometime I got up from sleep when some unwanted thoughts comes in mind (u know generally bad things are sticky. If there are good thoughts then u need to do efforts to remember them.. but for these .. bin bulaye mehaman..)
Wedding Shopping... Ohh God.. We still have old fashioned style.. there will be band of people( selector, mostly women.. who else would like to spend hours.. ) for selection. I dont understand why do other people are needed for your shopping (I am not denying that u need close ones that too one or two.. but not the whole colony.. ).. I spent nearly abt 8 to 10 hours to shop 3 cloths for bride. I think i was lucky.. that is really good bearable time if u see the statistics.. Consider there are five women to choose.. each one has at least five attributes (color, cost, texture, brand,..).. then what is the probability of getting all five intelligent creatures (at least they think so.. they think they can get better deals by bargain..) at one common point.. Mind-boggling. Thank god there was one women who leads all the others to finish so quickly .. huuuussshhh... Again my good habit (some says bad) of drinking lots of coffee/tea helped me..

In all these shopping, I noticed that I am very bad bargainer.. I believe I cant do that.. I tried sometimes, but the opposite party must have recognized me as new player & must have fooled me.. I am firm believer of the thought that wherever you get bargain u get bad deals.. Thats why I like west culture of supershoppy.. Whatever deal u get, even though u r robbed (comparing price & quality), u know that u r not alone.. I think during all this shopping I must have been cheated by many people (what can i do .. i am poor.. i can't do it.. L)
In all this I enjoyed one thing.. that is spending money.. Normally my intellectual mind prevents me doing all this.. but now i know that i have to do that..

There are lots pain areas in these types of function.. one of them is respect.. Host is by default expected to fulfill all the desires of the all the guests (Mainly the close ones.. There is real comedy in this.. close ones are only head ache… ) This is one way true as well, if u r inviting someone then u must respect him.. Again the same question why should u invite trouble… don’t let this situation of inviting so many( in our case the count touches to 1000 odd) to occur…simply don’t arrange such function.. (Basic problem with me.. Lazy.. ). I think I am talking about only the black side of this.. there is brighter side as well.. we r social (remind me words of one of influencing manager.. “We are human beings.. be social..” There was one guy in Selectica team who was working in night shift at Reliance. He wanted to talk with me at very odd hour of 2am in morning on some issue he was facing in application. To contact me in hotel he literally disturbed sleep of all the team members. How .. To know my room number he phoned all one by one..J ).. we need to maintain contacts.. this is really good ground for that…

There are lots of incidents in this period that taught me a lot.. So now I will have to say energy can neither be wasted .. nor be created.. (This statement is given by a person who is in control, I think this may be true in actual). one need to find the balance..

2 Comments:

Blogger Sunita said...

Hey Good start!!!
Must say you are really patient !!! Appreciate all the quite coffee and tea breaks u had while we girls were spending hours in the mall.
Waiting for your next blog.

December 16, 2004 at 5:43 AM  
Blogger ams said...

Cool Prashant! I strongly suggest u to post the ones that u've already written - the flight one and the 'back from UK' one, those are just amazing writings! - Amita.

December 16, 2004 at 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home